Wednesday, March 6, 2013

What were you thinking....

I sent this around on e-mail when it happened in January, but in case you missed it.....


Do you remember this scene from the Classic Movie A Christmas Story?   One of the highlights, right?  Always good for a laugh?





Today, Claire came home from school and this is the conversation as close as I can get it.  First of all, keep in mind that this morning, it was 8 below Zero in Preston, and the high was supposed to be a whopping 16 degrees:

Claire:  Mom, I skinned my tongue today at school.

Me:  (Slightly distracted)  What do you mean?  How do you skin your tongue?

C:  Well, there was some snowflakes that I wanted to lick on the monkey bars at school, so I did.

Me: Umm....and what happened?  (As the movie scene above is flashing through my mind and I'm trying to decide if it really COULD happen)

C:  Well, it stuck.  And so I pulled it off.

Me:  Did it hurt?

C:  Yeah, kind of.  But not too bad.  But then my friend Maren said, "Your tongue is bleeding bad."  And then it started bleeding in the snow and so I went to the bathroom and got paper towels and stuck it on there cuz there was lots of blood.

Me:  Trying so very hard not to laugh and feeling bad about it because it probably REALLY hurt but she is being so nonchalant about it.  "Did Anyone help you?  Did you tell your teacher?"

C:  Yeah, after recess I told her.   She said we probably shouldn't do that.

Me:  Can I see it?

A few moments later, she says, "Oh Mom, I can't have any mayonnaise for dinner because that hurt my tongue at lunch today.  So did the orange juice.  And the yogurt.  And the Cheetos kind of.  And the granola bar.  And the cheese.  But I can eat this Otter Pop!"

Oh dear.  I don't think there will be much eating going on for a couple of days.

I CANNOT believe how calm and cool she is being.  I can't believe I didn't get a phone call from the teacher with a screaming child.  I'm very glad that no Fire Department had to come and get her off.  And seriously, I cannot stop laughing....with her, not at her!!

No comments: