I just wanted to share in the joy (and the pain) that was my first running race. Just a little community 5K this morning for our Pioneer Day Picnic/Parade. It was quite fun! The sky was overcast, perfect! And we ran a bike trail by the reservoir and around the marina, so it was really peaceful...and muggy. My good friend up here, Stephanie, and I have been running for the last 6 or 7 weeks 3 times a week. And we run about 3.2 miles now when we go. So what's the difference in running for a race, right? Our goal was just to run the entire race without walking, and we did, so that was fabulous. But it's amazing how much faster we ran right out of the gate because of the competition. I guess our little jogs in the mornings are not as fast as we thought! But we made it, together, and that's what matters to us. Our time was 31:29. I have NO idea how this stacks up in the world of 5K...I just know that the 2 14-year old boys who ran for their Duty to God did it in 27 minutes. And while I was so glad they made it under their required 30 minutes, I thought, "Man, to be young again! Where did all my energy go? Oh right, it's been donated by umbilical cord to my 3 children. Sigh." But my favorite part was that Dave and my kiddies came to cheer me on at the beginning, halfway, and the end. Claire's giggle from the van really did cheer me up and give me a burst of energy. And now, at the end of the day, my rear end hurts way more than it does on a regular day of exercise, so I guess some new muscles got a workout. I'm trying to talk Steph into a 10K in the future; she is giving me dirty looks. I guess time will tell if this is the beginning or the end of racing for me.
Saturday, July 25, 2009
One Small Step for Me
I just wanted to share in the joy (and the pain) that was my first running race. Just a little community 5K this morning for our Pioneer Day Picnic/Parade. It was quite fun! The sky was overcast, perfect! And we ran a bike trail by the reservoir and around the marina, so it was really peaceful...and muggy. My good friend up here, Stephanie, and I have been running for the last 6 or 7 weeks 3 times a week. And we run about 3.2 miles now when we go. So what's the difference in running for a race, right? Our goal was just to run the entire race without walking, and we did, so that was fabulous. But it's amazing how much faster we ran right out of the gate because of the competition. I guess our little jogs in the mornings are not as fast as we thought! But we made it, together, and that's what matters to us. Our time was 31:29. I have NO idea how this stacks up in the world of 5K...I just know that the 2 14-year old boys who ran for their Duty to God did it in 27 minutes. And while I was so glad they made it under their required 30 minutes, I thought, "Man, to be young again! Where did all my energy go? Oh right, it's been donated by umbilical cord to my 3 children. Sigh." But my favorite part was that Dave and my kiddies came to cheer me on at the beginning, halfway, and the end. Claire's giggle from the van really did cheer me up and give me a burst of energy. And now, at the end of the day, my rear end hurts way more than it does on a regular day of exercise, so I guess some new muscles got a workout. I'm trying to talk Steph into a 10K in the future; she is giving me dirty looks. I guess time will tell if this is the beginning or the end of racing for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
As I recall. I wasn't the only one balking at a 10K race when it was mentioned this morning. But maybe the lack of oxygen to our lungs will affect our thinking and we might??? actually do it one day? You never know. Look at what trouble you have gotten me into already!!! But only for you, girl. Running has never been so much fun. Thanks for all the good times. Stephanie
Very good Mani! Way to finish it, and you've already one-upped me cause I've never done a race! We'll have to look into doing one in Utah when we're both there sometime.
Hey found your blog. I just have to say way to go on the 5K i'm planning to do my first one this weekend. I've been running for a few months now, but have only made 3 miles once with out stopping, I'm doing 3 in the morning and 3 at night. I just hope I don't die on the side. J/K I just want to finish it under 35 min. wish me luck. Cute blog and if you would like to view mine send me your email to jeepinallreds@xmission.com
nice work MaryAnn! you're setting a good example for me - i need to get back into it!
good job! i keep wanting to run it at peach days but i always get wussy at the end and back out - so great job!
Way to go lady! What an accomplishment! Keep up the good work! I should really start jogging again so I can lose this baby weight that is NOT going away!! One of these days (or years) I will be blogging about me running a 5K. (hopefully:)
Hey, way to go!! It is a great accomplishment and you should be very proud! You're awesome!
Great job! That is awesome. Next thing you know you'll be running a half or something crazy! Running is addicting.
You look great. You seem very involved and happy in your new community. I don't think I could ignore my hate of running enough to go and do something like you have! What a cute, supportive family you have too!
I am so proud of you! I need to be better motivated.
I didn't know you did a 5K! That is awesome. Way to go! You are looking very svelt, by the way. I'm very impressed :).
Mani! I just breezed in to check on you guys and saw this post! Congrats! Your time beat me but was very close to my 5K time so at least you know you are better than the "38 year old Mom of 5" bracket. hahahahah
And Kyle ran it with me and finished in 27 too. We should find a 5k to do with all of us together! Take care and I hope all is well!
Post a Comment